Wednesday 25 January 2012

Meryl Streep, Gary Oldman, More React To Oscar Nominations

Oldman calls Best Actor nod 'extremely humbling, gratifying and delightful.'
By Kara Warner


Gary Oldman in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"
Photo: Focus Features

Once again, the announcement of the Academy Awards nominations has made for a flurry of exciting headlines and news stories and lots of bets won and lost in Vegas.

In addition to the early-morning reveal of the full list of Oscar-nominated individuals and films, the most exciting aspect of Oscar nomination day is the universal delight and happiness expressed by the lucky folks in question.

Celebrated thespian and first-time nominee Gary Oldman was humbled by his Best Actor nomination for "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy."

"This afternoon in Berlin I have learned that I was nominated for an Academy Award in the category of Best Actor," he said in a statement. "You may have heard this before, but it has never been truer than it is for me today, it is extremely humbling, gratifying and delightful to have your work recognized by the Academy, and to join the celebrated ranks of previous nominees and colleagues. Amazing."

Another first-time nominee in the Best Actor category is Demián Bichir, star of the lesser-known but well-received "A Better Life," who admitted to being completely overwhelmed at having his name read along with Oldman's and the other "incredible" Best Actor nominees.

"This could have never happened if Chris Weitz had not been the head of this film," Bichir said in a statement. "He is my brother and I thank him deeply. Hopefully more and more people will jump into iTunes and Netflix to see our film. That will be the biggest reward we could get. I dedicate this nomination to those eleven million human beings who make our lives easier and better in the U.S."

Five-time nominee Kenneth Branagh was "absolutely thrilled" to learn of his first-ever Best Supporting Actor nod for "My Week With Marilyn."

"It was a rare honour to play Sir Laurence Olivier," Branagh said in a statement. "To be recognised by the Academy for doing so is overwhelming. I'm absolutely thrilled."

Branagh's fellow Best Supporting Actor nominee Christopher Plummer was also thrilled with the news.

"It's a shot in the arm for a young kid of 82 to receive an Academy Award nomination this morning," Plummer said in a statement. "My gratitude to writer/director Michael Mills, the Academy and to everyone involved with 'Beginners.' "

Best Director nominee Michel Hazanavicius and Best Supporting Actress nominee Bérénice Bejo were expectedly over the moon about their film "The Artist" receiving 10 nominations overall.

"I am so honored for this nomination," Hazanavicius said in a statement. "Filming 'The Artist' in Los Angeles was a dream come true, and to receive this recognition today is far beyond what I ever imagined. I couldn't have done this film without the incredible cast of actors and outstanding crew whose heart and souls were poured into this project."

"I'm overjoyed and filled with happiness," Bejo said. "I can't believe that a year ago I was learning how to tap dance and today I am nominated for an Academy Award. It was a thrill to work on a project as ambitious as 'The Artist' and I am happy to share this moment with our visionary director, Michel Hazanavicius."

And last but certainly not least is a reaction from Hollywood's most awarded and nominated individual, Meryl Streep.

"I am honored to be in company with such beautiful artists," the 17-time Oscar nominee said in a statement. "And touched deeply by my fellow actors for their generosity in giving me this acknowledgment."

See the complete list of Academy Awards Nominations.

Related Videos Related Photos

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1677800/oscar-nominations-meryl-streep.jhtml

Blagojevich Jessica Simpson Jonas brothers Beyounce Justin Bieber Dancing with the Stars Lindsey Lohan