Monday, 31 January 2011
ACTRESS peels off for Calendar Girls as Danielle Lineker makes stage debut
Disney Channel is willing to wait until the star is ready to return to work, MTV News learns.
By Jocelyn Vena
Last week, Demi Lovato left a treatment center after seeking help for personal issues. Before she entered treatment, Lovato had a big 2011 ahead of her. She was busy working on new music and was set to return to work on her hit Disney show, "Sonny With a Chance."
Lovato's post-treatment plan is still up in the air, but MTV News has learned that the Disney Channel will wait to begin working again with the star until her camp feels she is ready.
As for "Sonny With a Chance," for now, it will continue to focus on the show within the show, "So Random." Disney reps told MTV News that those sketches will eventually become a full series; production on the show began last week. Further information on "Sonny" was not made available at press time.
Lovato plans to tour later this year and will focus on making sure ticket prices are affordable for her fans. "I have best friends that aren't in the industry and are dealing with just buying groceries and things like that," she said about the solo trek. "So I want to do my part."
Prior to her treatment, Lovato had already begun work on new music, with producers like Timbaland wanting to work with the Disney star. Last year, when she spoke to MTV News about her next album, Lovato noted that she wanted to go more R&B.
"I would love for Drake to be on the album," Lovato said. "It's kind of like a pipe dream. I would also like to do a song with Trey Songz. It would be hot!"
The singer added that she wanted to show off her big voice on the upcoming record. "It's really nice to embrace it," she said. "I grew up singing R&B and then I grew up listening to rock, so it was kind of weird. But I'm kind of learning how to incorporate the two and I'm having a good time with it."
What are you hoping to see from Demi Lovato now that she's finished treatment? Share your ideas in the comments.Related Artists
British actor known for 'The Tudors' was once attached to McG-helmed reboot.
By Mawuse Ziegbe
He'll be flying into movie theaters in 2012, but who exactly is the newest Superman, Henry Cavill? The latest screen star to don the famed crimson cape has gained fame as a castmember of Showtime's period romp "The Tudors," and will hit the big screen in the upcoming Greek mythology epic "War of the Gods." But before he was tapped to play the iconic superhero, he was super close to portraying everyone from Twilight's Edward Cullen to James Bond to, ironically, Superman in another filmmaker's vision of the superhero.
He was up for Superman before
British screen star Cavill has been making a name for himself stateside as Sir Charles Brandon on the saucy historical drama "The Tudors," but he's come close to portraying Superman before.
MTV News caught up with Cavill back in 2009, and the then 25-year-old star told us he was set to zip through the sky as the Man of Steel in director McG's ("Terminator Salvation") take on the American icon. However, a shuffling of filmmakers resulted in Cavill getting dropped from the project, which eventually became the 2006 flick "Superman Returns."
"I was attached to the McG 'Superman' movie," Cavill told MTV News "Then Bryan Singer came on and took the helm and he made his movie.
"[The McG and Singer versions] were two different movies," Cavill explained. "So it wasn't so much of a sting because it was like, 'Oh, I got [the role],' and then the movie just didn't happen."
He also reportedly missed out on "Batman" ... and "The Green Lantern"
Cavill was rumored to be on the shortlist of leading men up to vanquish Gotham-area baddies in Christopher Nolan's "Batman" franchise, a role which eventually went to fellow Brit Christian Bale. Ryan Reynolds also reportedly beat out Cavill for the "Green Lantern" series.
He lost Edward Cullen to Robert Pattinson
Thanks to RPattz, Cavill missed out on one of the biggest movie franchises in recent years, "Twilight," even though he had some strong support in his corner. "Twilight" author Stephenie Meyer once said that Cavill was her dream choice, but Mother Nature thwarted the casting.
"The only actor I've ever seen who I think could come close to pulling off Edward Cullen is Henry Cavill. Henry was Albert, the young son in 'The Count of Monte Cristo.' Can you see it? I know I can!" Meyer blogged in 2007. However, after some delays in development, Meyer conceded that Cavill had aged out of "Twilight" territory. "The most disappointing thing for me is losing my perfect Edward."
"By the time the movie came around, I didn't look right for the character," Cavill explained to MTV News in 2009, adding, "No one even called me or my agent."
... And he was almost James Bond
The actor also auditioned for the role of 007 in "Casino Royale," but instead Daniel Craig knocked back shaken martinis and coolly took out henchmen as the world's first blond Bond.
He may not have played Bond, but he does drive the character's famed car
In a 2009 interview with JustJared.com, Cavill opened up about his biggest splurge, which he said was an Aston Martin — the same sleek, high-end ride that's been associated with Bond.
"It was one of those things that just ended up happening, like, 'Right, okay, just treat yourself," he said. The star also dished that he enjoys video games like World of Warcraft and shows like "Dexter."Related Photos
Active State Living Inhabit Furnishings & Dining Opportunity Furniture Prefabricated of Wood (brutus1964.blogspot.com)
Sunday, 30 January 2011
Jordana Brewster has been cast as the first star of the TNT pilot, Dallas.
The pilot focuses on the offspring of rivals J.R. and Bobby Ewing who clash over the future of the Ewing dynasty.
Brewster will play Elena, the daughter of the ranch's cook who is involved in a love triangle.
Patrick Duffy and Linda [...]
'I love nudity,' Brian Friedman teases about Jonas Åkerlund-directed clip.
By Jocelyn Vena, with reporting by Matt Elias
Sure, details are limited on what the Jonas Åkerlund-directed video for Britney Spears' "Hold It Against Me" is going to look like, but when Brit's choreographer, Brian Friedman, sat down with MTV News, he teased some scintillating details about the video.
"I didn't necessarily have pressure with this — it was more excitement," he said of working with the pop diva again. "I haven't been with Britney in five years on a project, so it was excitement to be back with her. It was excitement to get her dancing really hard again 'cause she's had a couple of years where she's been dancing different styles of dance and it hasn't been me.
"It's not necessarily that she hasn't been dancing, it hasn't been what I get from her, and what I seem to get from her is this tigress quality," he continued. "And she prowls. She really dominates when she does my choreography, and that's what I wanted to get back. Excited yes, scared no."
Shot over two days last weekend, the video shows Spears in a look she tweeted from the set. The preview pic, a lo-res photo, shows Spears from the shoulders up, standing with her back to the camera and her face turned toward it. The singer is in a red outfit, surrounded by a wreath of microphones.
While Friedman danced around any specific details about the clip, he did share that the video will have 10 male dancers. He also told us his favorite part: "I love nudity," he teased.
"I can tell you that Britney is wearing a couple of hats in this video — not literal hats, but she's playing roles in this video. That is what I can give you," he explained. "In every role, she is dancing. She is going to be dancing throughout the whole video. Like I said: Dance is the focal point of this video."
He also teased a bit about the costumes: "She's taking fashion risks. Things we've never seen her wear before she's wearing in this video, and I think it's just very sexy and it's a little bit playful," he added. "She's going to be doing something in this video that we've never seen her do. I'm not gonna tell you what that is but she's going to be sweating and she's going to be getting bruised and battered."
What are you expecting from the "Hold It Against Me" video? Share your predictions below!Related Videos
'If I do go into something else, it will be because it is good,' the action hero tells MTV News.
By Kara Warner
Those familiar with the work of Jason Statham know that he doesn't really do "fluffy" films or romantic comedies. He is a man of action and general butt-kicking/badass-ery: see "The Transporter," "The Bank Job," "Crank" and "The Expendables," to name a few.
Statham's new film, "The Mechanic," in which he plays a trained assassin who takes the son of his former mentor (Ben Foster) under his wing, is no different. There is a lot of action and a lot of ass-kicking, just the way his fans like it.
When MTV News caught up with Statham, we asked him if he felt at all typecast, and whether he'd take on a nice-guy role in a romantic comedy someday.
"You know, it's tough, because people will always keep saying to me, 'Do you only see yourself doing action movies?' and, I don't know," Statham said. "It's very difficult because one day I might be asked to do something that is of quality in a different genre, but the films that come from different genres aren't that great," he argued. "So I end up not doing them because once you make a mistake in that area, you can't go back. So, if I do go into something else, it will be because it is good."
But Foster told us his co-star doesn't just play a tough guy onscreen, but rather makes each performance unique by infusing them with "vulnerability."
"If you're a tough guy, and Jason is, the hardest part is showing vulnerability," Foster explained. "And it's working in 'The Bank Job' and in 'The Mechanic' here, and other films. He brings a lot of quiet heart to it. And it's difficult stuff because movie viewers aren't looking for that necessarily," he said. "But Jason is always being a humanity to [something] behind the bullets."
Are you fan of Jason Statham's action roles? Tell us in the comments!
Check out everything we've got on "The Mechanic."
For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.
For Sunday's awards show, producer explains science behind celebrity seating.
By Kelly Marino
LOS ANGELES — The Screen Actors Guild Awards are coming up on Sunday, and preparations are already well under way at the Shrine Auditorium. The stage is coming together, the list of presenters is close to being finalized and, most importantly, the seating arrangements are being mapped out.
"It depends on the size of the cast," SAG Awards producer Kathy Connell explained when MTV News asked how the seating chart is determined. "It also depends on if they were here the year before. If the TV cast was down front, we are probably going to put them further back this year. We also try to be democratic between film and TV."
The ceremony will take place in an intimate dinner setting where both film and TV actors will be seated next to their peers. Throughout the show, the celebrities can nosh on food provided by Lucques Catering and sip on Dry Creek wine and Taittinger Champagne while they celebrate one another's work.
The Guild seats the film casts next to the TV casts in order to allow everyone to visit and mingle in between acts. For example, the first few tables located in the front of the venue have place cards for the cast of "True Grit" seated next to the cast of "Glee." Moving more toward the center of the room reveals the actors of "The Kids Are All Right" seated next to the guys from "30 Rock." And a quick look around the rest of the room shows the ensemble from "The Closer" seated next to "Modern Family," who are across from the cast of "The Fighter" and "Hot in Cleveland."
"Actors are actors. They don't care that they are on TV. In fact, you know, film actors are very, very fond of watching actors on TV and vice versa," Connell said.
The 17th annual SAG Awards will air live on TNT and TBS this Sunday at 8p.m. ET from the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles.
For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.Related Photos
Jordan Knight took to his website yesterday and revealed something that leaves us less shocked than we'll be when Jesse James and Kat Von D file for divorce in a couple months:
The topic of this singer's sexuality came up this month because former pop star Tiffany went on Bravo and said she did once date a member of New Kids on the Block, the guy "who became gay later."
Knight said he doesn't blame Tiffany at all for that slip-up and added:
"I have never been outed by anyone but myself! I did so almost twenty years ago. I never knew that I would have to do it all over again publicly just because I reunited with NKOTB! I have lived my life very openly and have never hidden the fact that I am gay!
"Apparently the pre requisite to being a gay public figure is to appear on the cover of a magazine with the caption 'I am gay'. I apologize for not doing so if this is what was expected! My belief is that you live your life by example, and not by a caption on a magazine! If there ever has been any confusion about my sexuality, then you are someone that doesn't even know me!
"I love living my life being open and honest, but at this time I choose not to discuss my private life any further! My fellow band members don't discuss their private lives with their loved ones and I don't feel that just because I am gay, I should have to discuss mine!"
Knight and his fellow New Kids kick off their tour with The Backstreet Boys on June 2.
Sources close to Simon Cowell have revealed that although he desperately wants Cheryl Cole to make the stateside transition with him to the US version of The X Factor, he may [...]
Saturday, 29 January 2011
Federal regulators are poised to enact controversial new rules affecting Internet access, marking the government's strongest move yet to ensure that Facebook updates, Google searches and Skype calls reach consumers' homes unimpeded.